The Randolph County Sheriff's Office is pleased to offer our Citizens Academy to any Randolph County resident who is interested in learning more about law enforcement operations and the Randolph County Sheriff's Office.
The goal of the Sheriff's Citizen Academy is to improve our law enforcement/citizen partnership through education and participation.
Our Academy will present a wide range of topics and demonstrations similar to what your Sheriff's Deputies receive. By presenting this program, we hope to provide a broad educational experience which will acquaint attending citizens with the mission of sheriff's personnel and the requirements of law to which deputies must conform while carrying out their prescribed duties.
We believe that attendance and participation in the Academy will yield the following positive results:
- Citizens will be able to make more informed judgments about the Sheriff's Office and law enforcement activities
- The Sheriff's Office will become more aware of the feelings and concerns of the community, as expressed by attending citizens
- Citizens and Sheriff's representatives will have an opportunity to discuss and debunk some of the traditional misconceptions generally harbored by both parties. Through open discussion of such suspicions and misconceptions, a more harmonious climate for relationships may be established
The Academy will consist of ten sessions meeting once a week, on Tuesday evenings, from 6:00 pm to 9 pm beginning March 28, 2023. The majority of the classes will be held at the Emergency Services Headquarters (ESHQ), located at:
- 760 New Century Drive
Asheboro, NC 27025
Note: Some classes will meet off campus.
If you are interested in participating, please fill out the application (PDF) and return it to the Sheriff's Office.
Membership in the Randolph County Sheriff's Citizen Academy is open to all qualifying interested persons of the age of twenty-one (21) or older who meet the following requirements:
- Participants MUST be residents of Randolph County.
- Must not be convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor or have received a prayer for judgment for those two types of crimes.
- Must not have pending charges for a felony or serious misdemeanor.
- Must not currently be a defendant in an active civil litigation.
- Must not be a current or former member of any criminal gang or organization that advocates the overthrow of any local, state or federal government.
- Must pass a background investigation.
- Must sign a Waiver and Release
- Any omissions or misrepresentation on this application will result in your application NOT being approved.
- Participants MUST meet the attendance requirements (90% of class schedule).
- Must participate in a four-hour ride-along.
Return applications no later than March 7, 2023, to:
- Randolph County Sheriff's Office
Attention: Citizen Academy Registration
727 McDowell Road
Asheboro, NC 27205
There is no cost to attend the Citizen's Academy. Class size is limited.
Comments from past students:
Great instructors. Everyone seemed to love their jobs and their boss. Everyone seemed to really get along well together and they all praised each other often and gave each other credit.
I was impressed by the professionalism and knowledge of the sheriff's department. Their dedication to work towards improving the department and work to make the community better was impressive. They convinced me that they were not satisfied with the status quo but are diligently working to improve the department and how it can improve the lives of the citizens of Randolph County is one of the highlights of this course. I have seen new bridges being built with other agencies and he improvements in the jail facility have blown me away.
Just a well done and thanks all around! Made me proud to have such professionalism and dedication by all the personnel of Randolph County Sheriff's Department!
Well done to all of you. Proud to be a part of Randolph County and protected and served by such great professionals!
Thank you so very much to each one of you for your time to speak to the class. We are better informed citizens after each one of you spoke. My appreciation has grown even more and my pride in my law enforcement group in Randolph County has grown !
Excellent "behind the scenes" program that gave an insight to what the Sheriff's Department does, how they do it and the dedication of the many members of the Sheriff's Department from the top on down. I am so glad I signed up for the Citizens Academy.
The Citizens Academy totally exceeded my expectations. Sheriff Seabolt and his department deserve an award for exemplary service to all citizens in Randolph County. It would be nice to have a Citizen’s Academy 2. Where students could get additional information. I, myself would be interested in any learning opportunities.
The ride-a-long experience was wonderful! The balance between respect, kindness, authority and faith was humbling. We are in excellent hands in Randolph County.
You should attend the next Academy and learn how they spend funds allotted and asset forfeiture funds. The things Sheriff Seabolt has put in place since taking office, are amazing and great for our county.