Randolph County Supports the Military By Donating Blood
On October 30, 2023, Randolph County Government will be sponsoring its 15th annual blood drive to support the military. It will be held from 11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. at the National Guard Armory located at 1430 S. Fayetteville Street, Asheboro, NC.
The Armed Services Blood Program (ASBP) is the official U.S. military blood program. Providing an opportunity for service members, their families, and civilians to support our military in a definitive, meaningful way, the ASBP is a direct connection between those who give and the sick and injured who need their help. You’ve got what it takes to save three lives with a single donation.
Many Randolph County citizens have served, or are serving, their country. Some of those possibly have benefited from blood donated via this program.
Blood donated directly to the ASBP equates to fewer units they have to purchase from an outside source. Yes, “purchase.” Other sources of blood are sold to agencies that need the supply, including to the military. Our military has already given so much; giving back to them is one way of saying thank you for their service.
Mark your calendar for October 30, 2023, and schedule your appointment to donate blood between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. at the National Guard Armory on S. Fayetteville Street in Asheboro. It’s easy to save lives! By committing to give blood, you help ensure that blood is available when it is needed most by our military. Give blood by scheduling your donation appointment online. Next, enter the Sponsor Code: ASHE and schedule your appointment.
General guidelines for blood donation:
- Must be 17 years of age or older. [some locations take 18 and up only] and have a photo ID.
- Must weigh 116 lbs. or more. [depending on donation type, may take 110 lbs.]
- Must be feeling well for at least three days prior to donation.
- Have not had symptoms that include fever, cough, shortness of breath, and/or have experienced mild to severe respiratory illness.
- No major dental work in the prior three days/cleaning or fillings for 24 hours.
- Be well hydrated/have eaten something prior.
- You had no Body Piercing(s) in the last 3 months.
- You have not donated blood in the last 8 weeks for single unit or 16 weeks if double collection.
- You are not pregnant or have not been pregnant in the last 6 weeks.
- You have not had a cold or the flu in the last 72 hours.
- You know when or where you have traveled outside the US or Canada.
- You know what shots or have your shot record for any shots/vaccinations received within the last 8 weeks. (Flu shot is acceptable) as long as the donor is feeling well.
- You know when and where you got your last tattoo.
- COVID-19 Vaccination deferrals: Pfizer-BioNTech – 24 hour deferral from the date of injection.
Johnson & Johnson – 14 day deferral from the date of injection.
Investigational or Clinical Trial Vaccine – 12-month deferral.
Donor does not know the vaccine administered – 14-day deferral.
- Have not tested positive for COVID-19 in last 10 days.
- Have 10 days or less recovering from COVID-19.
To help the donation process run smoothly, please bring the following documents with you to your donation:
- Photo identification
- A list of all foreign travel history since 1980
- A list of medications and immunizations taken in the past eight weeks