Department of Social ServicesDepartment of Social Services

 1512 N. Fayetteville Street, Asheboro, NC 27203
Director - Tracie Murphy  email    |    Main # 336.683.8000    |    Privacy Practices
Child Abuse Hotline # 336.683.8200  |  Adult Protective Services Hotline # 336.683.8300  |  Fraud Hotline # 336.683.8198

Frequently Asked Question  


How do I apply for benefits/services?

Applications for benefits and services are taken at the agency Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  

Call the agency at 336-683-8000 for further assistance if you are unable to come to the agency.   

Visit NC DHHS - ePASS Electronic Pre-Assessment Screening Service

ePASS is short for Electronic Pre-Assessment Screening Service and is a quick and easy way for customers to get information about benefits and services that may help them. When you have finished, we will tell you the programs that you may be potentially eligible to receive and how you can apply for these programs. A final eligibility decision cannot be made until you apply at your local Department of Social Services.

What documents do I need to bring when applying for benefits/services?

When applying for benefits, you do not have to bring any item with you. However, you will be asked to provide information while applying. To speed up the process, it would be helpful for you to bring one form of identification (a picture ID if possible) and proof of income with you. This is generally the basic information you will need.

Depending on the program(s) that you apply for, some other documents that may be requested during the interview are:

  • Proof of income received in the last three months
  • Proof of assets owned:
    • Checking/savings account statements
    • Life insurance policies
    • Registration cards/titles for motor vehicles
    • Bonds/stock certificates
    • Deeds to property
    • Proof of outstanding loans on any property
  • Medical bills incurred in the last three months and any old medical bill with an outstanding balance
  • Social Security numbers for family members
  • Birth Certificates for family members
  • Immunization records for children
  • Proof of household expenses - rent, utilities, etc.
  • Health/Hospital Insurance identification cards or policies for family members


When is the best time to come in to apply?

An individual or his representative has the right to make an application for Adult Medicaid, Food & Nutrition Services (FNS), Energy Program(s), Work First Family Assistance and Emergency Assistance on the day he/she comes into the agency requesting medical or financial assistance. Applications for programs are taken on a "first come, first served" basis. Applications may be made in the office Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm or you may want to utilize ePASS to complete Medicaid and/or FNS applications online.

Do I need an appointment?

You do not need an appointment to make an application.  Applications are accepted on a "first come, first served" basis.  If you are already receiving benefits/services and would like to see your worker, it is best to call your worker first to make sure they will be available.

Can I make an appointment to complete an application?

Applications are taken on a "first come, first served" basis.  If you need special arrangements please call the agency at 336-683-8000 for further assistance.

Are interpreter services available?


Free interpreter services are available for anyone who speaks little or no English.  Come to the agency and arrangements will be made for free interpreter services.


How do I get a work permit for a minor?


DSS no longer issues Work Permits.
Please visit the following links for information concerning Youth Employment.
NC Department of Labor - Child Labor in Nonagricultural Occupations in North Carolina
NC Department of Labor - Youth Employment Certificate Form

How do I find a child care facility?

The NC Division of Child Development provides a child care facility search site online at Here you can search for a child care facility as well as obtain contact information and view detailed reports for each facility. For more information on finding a child care facility, contact a Child Care social worker in the Family Services Unit or call the agency at 336.683.8000.

Where can I find help obtaining child support?

Contact the local Child Support Enforcement Agency at 336.625.6626. The local Child Support Enforcement Agency is located at 355 S. Fayetteville St., Unit A in Asheboro. You can also contact the Child Support Customer Service line at 800.992.9457 or by email by visiting  

How do I report abuse or neglect?

To report the abuse or neglect of a child, call the Child Abuse Hotline at 336.683.8200. To report the abuse or neglect of a disabled adult, call the Adult Abuse Hotline at 336.683.8300.  You may also come to the agency to make a report. 

All reports are confidential and you do not have to give your name. 

For after hours emergencies call 911.

How do I become a foster parent?

Information on becoming a foster parent in North Carolina is available online at Call the agency at 336.683.8000 if you are interested in becoming a foster parent. 

How do I report fraud?

To report fraud call the Fraud Hotline at 336.683.8198. You may also contact the Program Integrity Branch of Economic Independence services at 800.662.7030 Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. 

All reports are confidential and you do not have to give your name.

I haven't received my Medicaid card - what do I do?

You should receive your Medicaid card by the fifth working day of the month. Contact your caseworker or call the agency at 336.683.8000 if you do not receive your card. Your card may have been sent back to the agency if your address has changed. Medicaid cards are not forwarded. Always notify your caseworker if you have a change of address. 

How do I change my Carolina Access doctor?

Contact your caseworker or call the agency at 336.683.8000 if you would like to change your Carolina Access doctor.

How do I apply for a job at Randolph County DSS?

Applications for positions at Randolph County DSS are accepted by the Randolph County Human Resources Office in the Randolph County Office Building located at 725 McDowell Road, Asheboro NC. For more information contact Human Resources at 336.318.6600 or visit their web site at Human Resouces

What is the Raleigh number for Social Services information?

Voice/Español (North Carolina Only):  1.800.662.7030 (The CARE-LINE)

TTY Dedicated - Local and Toll Free:  919.733.4851 or 877.452.2514

For Out of State Calls:  919.733.4261

FAX:  919.715.8174

Postal address:  2012 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-2012



Clients have the right to free interpreter services. Los clientes tienen el derecho de los servicios de intérprete gratis.