In an effort to increase efficiency and to reduce the possibilities for contraband to be introduced into the facility, the Randolph County Jail, in partnership with Pay Tel Communications, is transitioning to digital inmate mail effective December 1, 2022.
Currently, the jail receives general inmate mail at the facility through the United States Postal Service. Each letter is inspected by an officer and then handed out to the respective inmates. The process consumes a considerable amount of man hours and delays inmate communication. In addition, mail coming into the facility provides an avenue for illicit drugs to be sent into the facility. Beginning December 1, 2022, all general inmate mail must be mailed to a processing center in Greensboro. The mail will be scanned and uploaded to the inmates’ digital account that can be accessed by the respective inmate on the inmate tablets. There is no associated cost to the county or inmates; the sender will only pay for the stamp to mail the letter. The jail will continue to receive legal mail and money orders. The jail does not accept any packages, magazines, books or photographs on behalf of inmates. Photographs can now be sent to inmates using the Pay Tel Connect app with an associated fee. A short grace period will be extended into the month of December to account for mail in transit. Following that grace period, all general inmate mail will be returned to sender.
Link to new policy: https://www.randolphcountync.gov/373/Detention-Center
Please see the below policy for details:
Effective December 1st, all non-legal inmate mail must be sent to the following address:
The envelope must include the Facility Name, Inmate Name, Inmate ID number, and the Facility ID or the mail will NOT be scanned. The Facility ID for the Randolph County Detention Center is 5165.
The envelope must have a complete, legible return address including the sender’s first and last name or the mail will NOT be scanned.
The sender is responsible for postage. Mail with insufficient postage will be refused.
MAIL & PHOTO REQUIREMENTS AND RESTRICTIONS:
- NO cash, personal checks, or money orders mailed to the mail processing center
- Mail must be 10 pages or less per envelope
- Page size must be no larger than 8.5” x 11”
- Mail can include written or typed pages, photos, drawings or greeting cards (NO Polaroid photos)
- NO glitter, glue, tape, 3D elements, or electronic components (lights, music, animation)
- NO items containing, depicting, or relating to sexually explicit activity, gang activity, illegal activity, violence, drug, or alcohol use, etc.
- NO photos of nude or partially clothed persons
- NO illegal substances or any other items considered to be contraband
- NO magazines, books, or packages mailed to mail processing center, NO publications of any kind.
- NO originals of important documents or photos such as Birth Certificates, Driver’s Licenses, Social Security Cards, Green Cards, etc., as they will not be returned
- Photos sent to an inmate via the Pay Tel Connect application are $0.25 per approved photo charged to the sender, not the inmate.
Mail meeting these requirements will be scanned and can be accessed by the inmate via the inmate tablet. Physical mail will be destroyed.
All scanned mail containing materials considered illegal or breaches of security will be turned over to the proper authorities for investigation. Any threats of criminal activity will not be permitted in any correspondence and may result in criminal charges.
LEGAL MAIL / PRIVILEGED MAIL / MONEY ORDERS:
Do not mail legal/privileged mail or money orders to the mail processing center.
Legal mail and money orders must be mailed directly to the facility. Legal mail must be marked on the envelope as “Legal Mail” and will be opened in the presence of the inmate.
Address legal mail and money orders as follows:
Randolph County Detention Center
Inmate Name, Inmate ID Number
811 New Century Drive
Asheboro, NC 27205
BOOKS / MAGAZINES / PACKAGES
NO books, magazines or packages are to be mailed to the above address. These items will be returned to sender.
SCANNED MAIL AFTER RELEASE:
After release, an inmate can request digital copies of his or her scanned mail. Submit the request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The request must include:
Randolph County Detention Center
Inmate Name, Inmate’s ID Number
Once the information is verified, an email with a link to download the postal scans will be sent to the email address provided in the request.
The fastest way to communicate with an inmate is by phone or messaging. The inmate communications provider is Pay Tel Communications. To set up an account with Pay Tel, visit www.paytel.com or call 1-800-PAY-TELL.