The Randolph County Sheriff's Office is again offering the Sheriff's Citizen Academy to Randolph County residents who are interested in learning more about law enforcement operations and the Randolph County Sheriff's Office internal processes. The classes will start on Tuesday, March 28, 2023, at 6:00p.m. The basic goal of the Sheriff's Citizen Academy is to improve law enforcement/community relations through a formalized educational process.
Our Academy will present a wide range of topics and demonstrations similar to what your Sheriff’s Deputies receive. By presenting this program, we hope to provide a broad educational experience which will acquaint attending citizens with the mission of sheriff’s personnel and the requirements of law to which deputies must conform while carrying out their prescribed duties.
Through attendance and participation in the Sheriff's Citizen Academy:
- Citizens will be able to make more informed judgments about the Sheriff's Office and law enforcement activities.
- The Sheriff's Office will become more aware of the feelings and concerns of the community, as expressed by attending citizens.
- Citizens and Sheriff's representatives will have an opportunity to explore together some of the traditional suspicions and misconceptions generally harbored by both citizens and sheriff's deputies. Through open discussion of such suspicions and misconceptions, a more harmonious climate for relationships may be established.
The Academy will consist of ten sessions (plus a graduation) that meet once a week, on Tuesday evenings, from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. A variety of different classes will be provided. The majority of classes will be held at Randolph County Emergency Services Headquarters, located at 760 New Century Dr., Asheboro, NC 27205. Some sessions will be held at various other locations and details will be provided.
If you are interested in participating, please fill out an application and return it to the Sheriff’s Office. An application is available online at https://www.randolphcountync.gov/381/Citizens-Academy or in our office. Class size is limited due to space and time of each class.
Membership in the Randolph County Sheriff’s Citizen Academy is open to all interested persons of the age of twenty-one (21) or older who meet the following requirements:
- Must not be convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor or have received a prayer for judgment for either.
- Must not have pending charges for a felony or serious misdemeanor.
- Must not be a current or former member of any criminal gang or organization that advocates the overthrow of any local, state or federal government.
- Must pass a background investigation.
- Must sign a Waiver and Release.
- Any omissions or misrepresentation on this application will result in your application NOT being approved.
- Participants MUST meet the attendance requirements (80% of class schedule).
- Cannot be a current defendant in an active civil litigation.
Deadline: Return applications no later than Tuesday, March 7, 2023, to:
Randolph County Sheriff’s Office
Attention: Citizen Academy Registration
727 McDowell Rd.
Asheboro, NC 27205
There is no cost to attend the Citizen's Academy. Class size is limited.